Baseball Manager Online Forums

Return to Baseball Manager Online

Go Back   Baseball Manager Online Forums > League Forums > The 400 Club

Old 08-13-2013, 08:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to earpeth Send a message via MSN to earpeth Send a message via Skype™ to earpeth
Default BMO Nuances and FAQ breakdown

There are a lot of little nuances this game has and I hate the idea of only some of the league knowing them. Some are well-known, others not. Here are some facts, popular opinions and personal opinions that you might not know.

Feel free to discuss and let me know if anything is incorrect or not quite right.

Facts:
  • Every year after the playoffs your players will lose some peak. They will usually gain this back during the season. If they don't, it typically means trouble.
  • Every April 1st your players have a chance of taking a significant ratings drop. This appears random but seems to favour younger players and there is nothing you can do about it.
  • After the playoffs end, but before the November 4 sim, you have a chance at releasing your players for one year less than their contract length.
  • An infielder with poor defensive ratings can be "reconverted" to that position. First, convert him to another position - which takes two years - then convert him back to the old position. There are high chances of better defense. This process takes 4 years and commitment. Worth noting this is for IF mainly, OF does not seem to work well.
  • Relief pitchers put in the rotation for spring training will act as if they have pitched a month of starting, and their endurance and, surprisingly, peak will likely go up.
  • A big one - the 96 rating. In this game, 96 is the highest rating you will ever see. However, in the database a 96 means 96 or higher. 100 is not the maximum rating for a player. In the single player version of the game I have seen ratings as high as 160. Defensive ratings though, do seem to be capped at 100.

An example of how to use the 96 rating to your advantage: Say you draft a pitcher with 96 movement who is 75 (99). His movement is already 96 or over. Every jump he makes from here on out will improve his movement above 96. A good example is this player. She started as 74 (96) but with 96 movement that I suspect was around 105. If she jumps to her mid 90's potential it would not surprise me to see her movement at around 150.

This 96 "thing" applies to all offensive and pitching stats.
  • In pitchers, movement is much more likely to jump than control or power. Control will jump slightly and power ever so slightly.
  • Park factors in this game are significant. The most hitter friendly is COL and the most pitcher friendly is SDP. This should affect the way you make your team.
  • Conversions - any relief pitcher can be converted to a starter. This will increase his movement and decrease his power. This is mostly effective for those pitchers who already have good movement. They tend to almost always work well.
  • Farm and scouting have a link. If you have D scouting, your farm will suffer. It is impossible to achieve A+ farm with D scouting. Generally 99 your scouting one sim with D scouting to see a considerable jump in farm, regardless of its current rating.
  • Players have a "low peak age" and a "high peak age" which is completely random and invisible to the user. If a players peak is 23-35, it is likely they will be consistent for a very long time. If a players peak is 29-29, it is likely they will increase in production until 29, and then instantly start to decrease in production.

There are ways to guess what a players peak low age is but no way to guess what a players peak high age is. If a player has a lot of upside at 25, for example, it is likely that his low peak age is high, say 27 or 28. However, if a player has 3 points of upside left at age 22, it is likely that his low peak age is 23.
  • Like the 96 rating, 100 overalls are not necessarily 100. This is what makes 100 peaks so much more attractive than 99 peaks. A good example of this is this guy who has a peak well, well over 100 as he has jumped several times with an overall close to his 100 peak. This is how you find true monster players who can have 120 contact and 130 power in the database.
  • When you have bad scouting, a 100 peak is indicated as 99.
  • The optimum attendance for revenue is between 32k and 38k, regardless of ticket prices.
  • Due to the age of this league, Pay TV seems like a unanimous choice as the best broadcast to use. Local blackout used to be the choice I'd always make, but those leagues were younger.
  • Ever wondered why your pitcher seems to have an overall that's too low? This may be because of hidden ratings. Hidden ratings such as homerun rate exist in this game and absolutely affect a players overall.
  • Eye - a good eye, say a 96 eye, can mean a few things. It can mean they walk 20 times a year and K 20 times a year. It can mean they walk 120 times a year and K 160 times a year, or - the best kind - it can mean they walk 100 times a year and K 60 times a year. All of these have different pro's and con's that are under your discretion to evaluate. Notice this kind of thing in amateur stats when you see a good eye.
  • Playoff revenue is not like normal game revenue. Approximately 2 million is made for every game you play past the minimum. So if you play 6 games (win or lose) in a 7 game series, you will get around 4 million in playoff revenue (2 over the minimum 4 games). If you sweep everything you will get next to none.
  • Strategies - go here and fit it to your teams build. Note that the strategies of "Days off for starting lineup" and "Defensive replacements" appear broken (desertnomad).
  • In the playoffs, if you tell the game to start a starter and your ace is rested it will pitch the ace, despite who you told it to pitch.
  • Regarding jumps - contact and range pop faster than power and fielding. Arm and speed barely move. Eye moves a bit.
  • Every batter has a hidden ground ball ratio. Look out for GIDP.
  • Prospect development - Development in the majors insulates peak whereas development in the minors gives higher chance of large pops and higher chance of severe peak loss.
  • Put prospects in the bottom of the lineup/rotation to "take the pressure off" of them.
  • Jumps only happen between May 1 and around August 31. Most jumps happen in August.
  • When you get an injury, you may have received a drop, even a small injury. Check "Headlines" to see whether the player has high chances of permanent effects. Sometimes it won't say in headlines and you will still get an injury drop.
  • In order for a player to bust their rookie status, they must have 60 days of play time or reach a (currently unknown) quota of AB's or IP.
  • Rookies will almost always have poor years. It is sometimes wise to get them their 60 days of play time and sit them back in the minors.
  • Home field advantage is significant.
  • Def Eff is an important stat. It is the percentage of balls in play converted to outs. A .750 def eff means that 75% of balls hit into play are converted into outs. Range is the best way to improve def eff and many GM's believe def eff is the most important stat in BMO.

Popular Opinions:
  • Bad spring training stats may contribute to April 1st drops.
  • A low health rating increases small injuries, but generally does not mean higher amount of large injuries.
  • Health is overrated. Health only matters if it is moving year to year.
  • If health is moving downwards year to year, this is a bad sign. A health rating of below 50 means it is their last year more than likely.
  • Scouting is a luxury. A good player can get along without it, though it makes life more difficult. If your scouting is +-10 and you follow your players ratings, you can pretty much nail them. For example if I have a player who i see 75 contact for one sim and 95 contact another, i know his contact is 85.
  • Some pitchers have better walk rates than control suggests, though the control rating still needs to be above 70 typically.
  • Playoff numbers for pitchers are highly indicative of how they will perform in the playoffs in the future. Some pitchers just can't pitch well in the playoffs despite regular season stats.
  • There currently isn't enough information on whether or not lefty/righty splits are significant or matter. I personally ignore it.
  • Happiness of individual players means little to their performance.

Personal Opinions:
  • A high medical expense reduces mainly time of injuries, rather than occurence of injuries - earpeth
  • Veterans do much better in the playoffs and outperform their ratings - earpeth
  • Veterans are excruciatingly underrated and draft picks are excrutiatingly overrated (except playoff picks) - earpeth
  • Playoff picks are underrated - earpeth
  • Any pitcher with a control under 70 is not worth looking at - earpeth
  • Happiness affects players more than people give credit. Winning a world series can start a "happiness factory" which leads to easier future WS'es - earpeth
  • Stockpiling cash is generally unwise as the cash is not working for you - it also makes your players more expensive to re-sign - earpeth
  • April first drops seem to happen more on some teams (PIT) than others (CIN) - desertnomad
  • Never start a prospect under 75 overall, and always start prospects 75+ overall unless they are blocked or not jumping at all - earpeth
  • High innings pitched (high pitch count strategy, 4-man rotation) may wear down your pitchers for October. This is inconclusive - desertnomad

WAS Wyverns (2083-2100)
LAA Ghastly Gophers (2182-2237)
PIT Bottomless Boozehounds (2238-2257)
MIL Macabre Mustelids (2261-)

Don't get Earped.

Last edited by earpeth; 08-14-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to desertnomad

Comprehensive. I've thought many times to start a FAQ, but I lose motivation and wonder who it's really for since we have no newbs. Nice work.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:52 AM

Great read.. Thank you.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to earpeth Send a message via MSN to earpeth Send a message via Skype™ to earpeth

I've already thought of a bunch more, will edit post in a bit.

WAS Wyverns (2083-2100)

Don't get Earped.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to mariner4life

we may not have many newbs, but we have guys who don't know this stuff (me). wouldn't it be nice to have everyone on an even playing field because they understand the game's operating system. would make for a more competitive league.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to desertnomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
we may not have many newbs, but we have guys who don't know this stuff (me). wouldn't it be nice to have everyone on an even playing field because they understand the game's operating system. would make for a more competitive league.
Yes. That's why we started the Questions and Attempted Answers thread that is stickied.

Old 08-13-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
I know this stuff and still suck.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:14 PM

One thing I still want to know that I read you saying couple days ago Earp and I don't believe I see the explanation here is.... why is it good for teams not to sell out??
Old 08-13-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmogulcubfan View Post
One thing I still want to know that I read you saying couple days ago Earp and I don't believe I see the explanation here is.... why is it good for teams not to sell out??
If you are selling out there are fans that want to come to your game and can't. It is not optimizing revenue until you're just one level away from a sellout. This way everyone who wants to come to your game can, for the maximum possible price.

It's like selling out at 50% when you could get 2k less than a sellout at 80%. obviously the 80% is better.

WAS Wyverns (2083-2100)

Don't get Earped.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:17 PM

Earp is 100% right on sellout, in the other thread we were arguing about ticket prices. While I agree that 85-90% is probably where you want to be attendance wise, the problem relates to activity level. For my team last year if I played Earps I'd sellout at +40, but get low attendance if I was +10 facing mariners team. Since I don't have the time to adjust for each series, my overall attendance was only 70-75%, but my revenue was above average for Oakland historical despite all the surplus cash and having a crap team. This year I might only be on once a day, so it's at -10 so ill sell out, but I'm thinking revenue will actually be much lower.